The annual holiday energy curtailment is coming soon. Heating and ventilation will again be turned down or off on the Berkeley campus from Saturday, Dec. 22. through Tuesday, Jan. 1; faculty and staff are encouraged to stay away from campus for the duration.
Buildings scheduled for heat and ventilation curtailment can be found on the physical plant website. Normal electric service will be maintained. Last year’s curtailment saved 300,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity and 3,400 therms of steam, for costs savings of
As the campus gets ready for the break, employees are asked to make these preparations:
- Turn off hand-operated radiator valves in work areas.
- Turn off lights, including in public areas, since lighting can account for up to half of a building’s energy use.
- Turn off all monitors, printers, copying machines, typewriters, coffee pots, and other appliances. Check with your support unit before turning off your computer.
- Make sure all windows are closed tightly.
- For those who need to be on campus during curtailment, the use of electric space heaters is strongly discouraged.
Technical questions about the curtailment should be directed to the Energy Office (644-4871 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Human Resources has posted a webpage describing closure options available to employees, which including using vacation or taking unpaid leave.