With the Lower Sproul Plaza revitalization moving ahead, bus, pedestrian and auto traffic on Bancroft Way will see some changes starting this week and lasting for the duration of the project, through fall 2015.
The Office of Capital Projects provided these details:
- Starting Friday, Jan. 4, there will be no more bus stops on Bancroft at Eshleman Hall.
- The stop for AC Transit lines 1 and 1R is being removed. Those lines will continue to stop on Telegraph at Durant and Bancroft at Dana.
- Other AC Transit lines and campus shuttles currently stopping at Eshleman will use a new stop just to the east on Bancroft Way at Barrow Lane, now a white loading zone outside Sproul Hall. Two of the bus shelters currently located at Eshleman will be moved to this site. The new stop will serve AC Transit lines F, 49, 51B and 52, as well as the UC Berkeley shuttles
- The third shelter outside Eshleman will be moved west on Bancroft, near the Recreational Sports Facility.
- No pedestrians will be allowed on the north side of Bancroft, from Telegraph to Dana, Jan. 4. The south-side sidewalk will be open.
- The crosswalk on Bancroft located mid-block between Telegraph Ave and Dana Street (at Sather Lane) is scheduled to be removed starting the week of Jan. 7. People will be able to cross Bancroft Way only at Telegraph Avenue or Dana Street.
- Driving on Bancroft will be reduced to two lanes plus a loading/parking zone on the south side. The bus lane on the north side of Bancroft Way at mid-block between Telegraph and Dana is scheduled to be closed starting Jan. 4.