ATTENTION: Higher education and general assignment reporters, weekend, photo and TV news assignment desks
WHAT: Chancellor Nicholas Dirks will greet students and their families as they move into University of California, Berkeley, campus housing this Saturday. Cal football players will also be on hand to help with heavy lifting. More than 6,000 students are expected to move in to student housing by the time classes begin on Thursday, Aug. 29. Also welcoming students this weekend will be professors who live in undergraduate housing as part of the resident faculty program, which UC Berkeley launched in 2005 to bridge the social gap between students and educators.
WHEN: Credentialed news media are invited to cover move-in weekend this Saturday, Aug. 24 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Units 1 and 2, which are complexes with several residence halls.
- Chancellor Dirks will be chatting with students and their families at Units 1 and 2 on Saturday between 11 a.m. and noon.
- Cal football players will be assisting students in Units 1,2,3 and 4 on Sunday.
WHERE: Unit 1 is located at College Avenue and Durant Street and Unit 2 is at College Avenue and Haste Street. See campus map.
WHO: In addition to Chancellor Dirks and Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Harry Le Grande, campus members on hand will include resident faculty program members:
- George Chang, associate professor emeritus of nutritional science and toxicology. He and his wife, Abby Jang, have lived in Unit 2’s Towle Hall since 2005. A Q&A with Chang can be found here.
- Mahasin Mujahid, assistant professor of public health. She resides in Unit 1 with her husband and three children
- Na’ilah Suad Nasir, chair of African American Studies and associate professor of education. She resides in Unit 1 with her husband and three of their four children.
DETAILS: Move-in weekend kicks off Welcome Week, Aug 26-30, when new students take campus tours and attend orientation workshops, lectures and receptions. More details about Welcome Week events.