WHAT: Thousands of new first-year and transfer students moving into UC Berkeley residence halls will be welcomed by Chancellor Carol Christ and other key administrators, as well as members of the volleyball, field hockey and lacrosse teams.
Reporters can expect visuals of new students arriving on campus, administrators welcoming new students and members of Berkeley’s athletics teams helping unload cars and push carts filled with student belongings.
WHEN: Move-in will begin early on Tuesday, August 20, 2019.
- Chancellor Carol Christ and other top administrators will be welcoming students at Units 1, 2 and 3 and Blackwell Hall from 9:35 to 11 a.m. (Contact Mike Dirda at 510-981-9193 as Chancellor Carol Christ moves between various locations.)
- The women’s volleyball team will be helping students move from 8 – 9 a.m. at Blackwell Hall
- The women’s field hockey team will be Unit 2 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- The men’s lacrosse team will be at the Foothill Residence Hall from 8 – 9 a.m.
- Unit 1: 2650 Durant Avenue
- Unit 2: 2650 Haste Street
- Unit 3: 2400 Durant Avenue
- Blackwell Hall: 2401 Durant Ave
- Foothill Residence Hall: 2700 Hearst Avenue
- On Wednesday, August 21, 2019, Chancellor Carol Christ will give the convocation address at California Memorial Stadium from 1-2 p.m. This event is the official new-student welcome, and includes student and faculty arts performances as well as formal addresses by Christ and other campus leaders. Following the speech, new students will gather to form the shape of a bear on the field.
- Roughly 6,400 high school students and 2,600 transfer students will be entering UC Berkeley this fall. More than 70% of first-year admits and 92% of new transfer students are California residents. Almost a quarter of first-year admits and half of new transfer admits have parents that did not complete a four-year degree. Learn more about UC Berkeley’s newest students.