Berkeley’s recent restoration of Sather Gate and the Campanile (Sather Tower) have won 2010 Governor’s Historic Preservation Awards.
The awards are presented annually by the state Office of Historic Preservation and California State Parks to recognize significant achievements in historic preservation.
During the Sather Gate restoration, Berkeley’s nearly century-old Beaux Arts south portal was dismantled, seismically fortified and restored to its former majesty, erasing all signs of damage caused by weather and time. The 2008-09 project cost $1.5 million, which the Class of 1950 alumni group has been fundraising to cover.
The Campanile, which has been an icon on the Berkeley campus since it opened in 1914, also underwent repairs during 2009. Its marble spire needed repair and cleaning, and its beacon was made more secure. Originally called the Jane K. Sather Tower after its donor, the Campanile is known for its 61-bell carillon and views. At 307 feet, it is the world’s third largest bell and clock tower,