ATTENTION: Higher education and general assignment reporters; weekend, photo and TV news assignment desks
This weekend, thousands of students will move into housing at the University of California, Berkeley. By the time classes begin on Thursday, Aug. 25, an estimated 6,300 undergraduates, including 690 international and 880 out-of-state students, will reside in campus residence halls. Another 3,900 undergraduates and graduates will be living in UC Berkeley-run apartments and family housing.
Credentialed news media are invited to cover Move-in Weekend this Saturday, Aug. 20, from 10 a.m.-noon at Unit 2, a complex with several residence halls at Haste Street and College Avenue. See campus map
Move-in weekend kicks off Welcome Week, Aug 22-25, when new students take campus tours and attend orientation workshops, lectures and receptions. Highlights include:
- New Student Convocation, Monday, Aug. 22, 3:45-6 p.m.. All new undergraduates are invited to hear from Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost George Breslauer, ASUC President Vishalli Loomba, and Dean of Students Jonathan Poullard at a picnic dinner at the Greek Theatre.
- Chancellor’s Reception for New Undergraduates, Tuesday, Aug. 23 and Wednesday, Aug. 24, 4-5:30 p.m. New undergraduates can meet the chancellor at invitation-only gatherings at the Chancellor’s Garden, University House.
- Calapalooza, Thursday, Aug. 25, 4:30-8 p.m. New students will be introduced to more than 300 student groups, campus services, and performers at this annual resource fair on Upper and Lower Sproul Plaza.
- Sunset at the Campanile, Tuesday, Aug. 23 and Thursday, Aug. 25 at 7 p.m. Students can enjoy a breathtaking view from the Campanile, Sather Tower.
- New Student Services Smooth Transitions Tent, Aug. 22-Sept. 2, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Students are invited to stop by the tent on Upper Sproul Plaza to grab a copy of the Welcome Calendar, ask questions, get directions, or pick up Cal Welcome freebies.