ATTENTION: Reporters covering local news, and weekend, photo and TV news assignment desks
WHAT: A campus and community gathering to pay tribute to the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela, the former South Africa President and anti-apartheid icon who died on Dec. 5 at age 95. The event will include music from the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir and reflections on Mandela by campus and community leaders, and will end with a candlelight vigil.
WHEN: This Saturday, Dec. 14, 3-5 p.m.
WHERE: Sproul Plaza on the UC Berkeley main campus, near the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Bancroft Way. See campus map
WHO: Speakers and performers will include:
- State Assembly Speaker John Pérez
- UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks
- Pastor Michael McBride, founder of Berkeley’s Way Christian Center
- Gabby Shuman and Marcel Jones, Black Student Union
- Music by Kev Choice, Rico Pabon, Rasheed Shabazz and the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir