Reporters wishing to attend the press conference must RSVP via email to Dan Mogulof by Wednesday, August 15.
WHAT: UC Berkeley Chancellor Carol Christ will host a back-to-school press conference to discuss key campus topics including free speech, diversity and the school’s financial health. Christ will also introduce new members of her senior leadership team.
Immediately following the press conference, Chancellor Carol Christ will visit with transfer students and, later in the afternoon, give a welcome address to new admits.
WHEN: 10 a.m. Monday, August 20. Members of the media should arrive between 9:30 and 9:45 a.m. Please RSVP by Wednesday, August 15.
WHERE: Club Room in Haas Pavilion, 115 Haas Pavilion, Berkeley, CA 94720. (Map. Public parking spots can be found here.) Enter through the main doors on the east side of the building. The press conference will also be streamed live on UC Berkeley’s Facebook page.
• Chancellor Carol Christ
• New Athletic Director Jim Knowlton
• New Vice Chancellor for Research Randy Katz
• New Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Steve Sutton
• New Vice Provost for Academic Planning Lisa Alvarez-Cohen
• Chief Financial Officer and Vice Chancellor, Finance Rosemarie Rae
• Vice Chancellor of Equity & Inclusion Oscar Dubón, Jr.
TOPICS WILL INCLUDE:
• An update on UC Berkeley’s progress closing its budget deficit
• An introduction of new leadership
• Plans for transforming undergraduate education to meet 21st century needs
• Efforts to improve diversity and inclusion among students, staff and faculty
• Free speech at UC Berkeley
• Immediately following the press conference, Chancellor Christ will meet with new transfer students at the Transfer Student Center Open House, at informal welcome event for students and their families at 100 Cesar Chavez Center. Chancellor Christ will make remarks at 11:05 a.m.
• Later that afternoon, Christ will give the convocation address at Haas Pavilion from 3-5 p.m. This event is the official new-student welcome, and includes student and faculty arts performances as well as formal addresses by Christ and other campus leaders.