ATTENTION: Higher education reporters, weekend assignment desks
WHAT: Spring 2019 Commencement, an annual event at the University of California, Berkeley, that honors graduating seniors. Wendy Kopp, who founded Teach for America in 1990, will address this year’s graduating seniors.
About 5,800 students in regalia are expected to participate in the ceremony, which includes a procession to “Pomp and Circumstance,” speeches, musical performances and recognition of outstanding students and the 2019 Distinguished Teaching Award winners.
No diplomas are awarded at commencement; degrees are conferred during the more than 80 departmental graduation ceremonies being held on campus this month.
WHEN: 10 a.m. Saturday, May 18. Media should arrive between 8:30 and 8:45 a.m., as road closures and traffic will create congestion in the area.
WHERE: California Memorial Stadium, 2227 Piedmont Avenue, UC Berkeley.
- Wendy Kopp
- Chancellor Carol Christ
- University Medalist Tyler Chen, who studied materials science and bioengineering
- Student Tiffany Moore will perform “Climb Ev’ry Mountain”
- Only media vans/trucks will be allowed to park in the stadium’s Prospect Court lot. No personal vehicles will be allowed there.
- Credentialed media must check in at the third floor lobby of the Simpson Center for Student-Athlete High Performance. This is down a set of stairs on the southwest corner of the stadium. Please enter at Gate 5.
- A riser and mult box will be available for broadcast media.
- Reporters planning to cover the event must confirm attendance by noon on Friday, May 17.